- Make a budget and educate yourself about how much elements of the project will cost. You can have an educated estimate before the contractor gives you a quote, so you’ll know if you’re being taken advantage of!
- Think of a few ways to hide the toilet. If your toilet is exposed, you can hide it to give your bathroom a more luxurious appearance. You can set it apart in a separate room, or you can camouflage it with a half wall or cabinets.
- Choose a few things that you love about the bathroom and preserve those elements. Vintage elements are in high demand these days, so if you have a claw-foot tub or authentic tile, you might want to hang on to it for aesthetics and to save yourself some money, too.
- Consider your current lighting scheme and whether or not it works. If you need more lighting over the vanity or in the shower, you can let your contractor know up front. If all is well, you’ll only have to think about updating the fixtures.
- Research standard bathroom dimensions. Find out how much space a Jack and Jill sink or a standard bathtub takes up. Know how high your countertops will be. These things will help you start on a design and know what’s possible before you consult a contractor.
- Choose a few luxurious touches. You don’t have to go all out on every element, but choosing just a few areas to splurge will make your bathroom remodel look more expensive than it actually was. Think about which areas you’d like to emphasize so you can let your contractor know upfront.
- Realize you have several tub/shower options. We surprise homeowners all the time when we tell them that they can convert a tub into a shower or tile a shower and change its entry angle. You may be able to add a tub even in a very small bathroom thanks to smaller, modern versions.
Once you’ve prepared yourself for the questions your contractor will inevitably ask, you won’t feel so pressured to make a decision right away once the project begins. Look at lots of photos before your bathroom remodel, and have a clear idea of what you want from the outset. You’ll stay within budget and get results that you’re 100% satisfied with as well! As always, it is important to choose a Kansas City bathroom remodeling professional that is going to help you get those results! Give us a call today!!