Kansas City Bathroom Remodeling has seen many bathroom trends come and go. Among them, ways to make shower renovation more affordable and effective. One of today’s most popular ways of doing that is to install a shower pad or base instead of custom tile.
There are many reasons to go with a shower base instead of a custom shower from top to bottom. We’ll discuss those advantages in a moment, but for now, we’ll give you a little more detail about what today’s shower bases are like.
What is a shower base?
A shower base, also called a shower pan is one solid piece that can be installed before a new shower is placed. They are a common choice for homeowners who are renovating because they can be installed quickly as one piece. They are not labor intensive and are highly effective.
Shower bases can be made of many different materials, including fiberglass, acrylic, tile, or composite. You will want to choose the material that looks best with your current bathroom style. Solid pieces of fiberglass and acrylic can be molded, while tile shower bases are still crafted by hand.
If you are converting a tub area into a shower, a shower base is the perfect way to cover the entire area. With a built-in threshold, you don’t have to worry about water splashing out of the shower. You can also find shower bases with integrated seating, a center or a side drain, and those appropriate for corner showers, so there’s truly a shower pan for every home renovation.
Why Use a Shower Base?
There are many benefits of using a shower base when you are replacing a shower or tub. Here are a few of them:
- Reduces the risk of water leaks – As a single piece, the shower base prevents leaks better than a custom-built shower. The only possible place for a leak is around the edges, and these are sealed tightly.
- Customizable – You can choose from a wide selection of colors and styles to suit your bathroom renovation. Size, shape and color are only a few of the choices you’ll have.
- Affordable – A shower base is a fraction of the cost of hand-laid tile when you figure in labor costs.
- Easy to install – A solid piece of acrylic or other material can be placed very quickly with absolute accuracy, and it’s virtually impossible to get wrong.
- Easy to clean – Many of these materials have smooth surfaces. The absence of grout makes a shower base very easy to wipe clean.
Kansas City Bathroom Remodeling is the leading bathroom renovation company in the area. We care about our residential bathroom renovations before, during and after the project. This includes giving our customers all the options so they can make the best choice for their budget and personal style.
If you’ve heard great things about shower bases and you want to know more, give us a call and we’ll go over the pros and cons of shower bases compared to custom installations.